Fire Services Association
The Illinois Fire Services Association was created in the Late 1980’s for the purpose of having a single voice on legislative issues at both the state federal level of government. The Illinois Fire Service Association is composed of the following 13 associations/agencies in Illinois:
- Illinois Society Fire Service Instructors
- Illinois Firefighters Association
- Illinois Professional Firefighters Association
- Illinois Fire Inspectors Association
- Associated Fire Fighters of Illinois
- Office of the State Fire Marshal
- Illinois Fire Safety Alliance
- City of Chicago Fire Department
- Illinois Fire Service Institute
- Illinois Fire Chiefs Association
- Illinois Association of Fire Protection Districts
- Mutual Aid Box Alarm System
- Northern Illinois Association of Fire Protection District
In 2002, Speaker of the House, Representative Michael Madigan created a task force to seek information regarding the current issues and needs of the fire and EMS services in Illinois.
Representative Don Moffitt and Representative Mike Smith were the first co-chairmen of the task force and from their hearings and meetings they developed the Illinois Fire Service Caucus. The Caucus has bipartisan membership from both the House and the Senate.
On a yearly basis, the Illinois Fire Services Association host a Legislative Summit attended by all of its members to identify the critical issues that the fire and EMS services in Illinois were facing. Post-Summit committees work on legislation content that is provided to a Legislator in the House or Senate for sponsoring as a Bill. A list of those Bills become the foundation of the Illinois Fire Services Association Fire Caucus Bill List. Only suggested Bill content/subject matter items that receive a 100% vote of support from all of the member agencies are part of the Fire Caucus Bill list for consideration for sponsorship by the Fire Caucus as a Bill.
The Fire Services Association also provides the coordination and staffing of the Fire Safety displays at the annual Illinois State Fair in August of each year. As part of the Fire Museum on the Fair Grounds the Fire Services Association partners provide fire safety education for all of the visitors to the State Fair. Member groups provide personnel on their assigned day to deliver the fire safety messaging that keeps our residents safe and informed.
Submit Initiative »