Columbia College Chicago is an urban institution of over 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students emphasizing arts, media, and communications in a liberal arts setting.
Job ID: 900249
Develops and coordinates the environmental health and safety programs for Columbia College Chicago; assists the AVP of Campus Safety and Security and the AVP of Facilities and Construction with the development of safety programs to meet local, state, and federal guidelines. Serves as expert liaison with all safety and code related departments of the city and all related federal agencies. Assists the Director of Campus Safety and Security in conducting safety and fire safety related training programs for the Columbia College Chicago community, to include fire drills and emergency response preparedness.
Duties & Responsibilities
• In coordination with the Departments of Campus Safety and Security, Facilities and Human Resources, responds to all employee, faculty and student health, safety, and environmental concerns within the workplace/workshops.
• Coordinates environmentally responsible storage and disposal of hazardous wastes and materials. Maintains Material Safety Data Sheets as required by law.
• Responsible for the development and implementation of written Health and Safety programs and training programs mandated by Columbia College Chicago and by outside agencies such as OSHA and EPA or recommendations from Columbia College Chicago insurance carriers. Responsible for the development and updating of health and safety policies and procedures in compliance with regulatory requirements.
• Responsible for environmental health and industrial hygiene monitoring and sampling. Performs exposure evaluations, develops air monitoring and sampling strategies, implements strategies, trending analysis and prepares reports. Assists in communicating results to staff.
• Coordinates the Columbia College Chicago hazard communications programs, maintains master MSDS collection and conducts training.
• Conducts health and safety training and orientation for employees. Conducts regulatory required health and safety training including, but not limited to, asbestos awareness, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, Automatic External Defibrillators (AED), blood borne pathogens, hazard communications, respiratory protection, fall protection, and lifting/back safety.
• Responsible for researching state of the art safety equipment and supplies and making recommendations for procuring same, for the support and advancement of the environmental health and safety program.
• Makes environmental health and safety recommendations and oversees implementation of same. Liaisons with the AVP of Facilities and Construction to review Contractor Safety Surveys, conducts work site visits and assess compliance with Columbia College Chicago contractual agreements.
• Conducts environmental health and safety audits, documents concerns, meets with supervision, and ensures compliance.
• Responsible for accident investigation and assists in development of prevention programs. Prepares reports and presents information to the Safety Committee.
• Works with the Director of Campus Safety and Security to maintain compliance with Clery Act reporting related to fire protection requirements
• Serves as Occupational Safety and Health Officer for Columbia College Chicago.
• Develops and reviews all bid specifications for environmental actions.
• Oversees environmental action projects.
• Serves as the Hazardous Waste Coordinator and manages waste disposal programs.
• Serves on the Columbia College Chicago Safety Committee.
• Professional certification required: Certified Safety Professional or Certified Industrial Hygienist.
• 3+ years of experience with an emphasis in environmental, health and safety program management and employee training. Firefighter or Emergency Medical Services background encouraged to apply.
• Four (4) year degree in occupational safety, industrial hygiene, environmental discipline or equivalent field of study. Relevant advanced degree preferred.
• Comprehension of industry, local, state, ad federal environmental, health, and safety requirements/regulatory agencies.
• Strong team-building and training skills. Strong organizational skills.
• Adept at utilization of software programs/solutions.
• Ability to lead and support cross-functional management of safety initiatives.
Association Status: This is a non-union position.
To view the complete job description and apply, please visit jobs.colum.edu (Job ID 900249). To browse through the job openings, please click Next at the navigation menu.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references as ONE document (.doc .docx or .pdf). Have a short title of the document, letter characters only. Upon successful submission, an e-mail notification will be sent to the e-mail provided in your application. If you experience difficultues, please check the Applicant FAQs at www.colum.edu/employmentservices.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Columbia College Chicago encourages qualified female, LGBTQ, disabled, and minority individuals to apply for all positions.